The IAFC Foundation recognizes the increasingly complex world in which first responders operate. Science, technology, communications and policy are constantly changing and evolving. It's critical that our nation's first responders master the challenges of today and tomorrow. The IAFC Foundation helps ensure that our men and women are prepared to meet these challenges by providing increased opportunities to support their educational needs.
IAFC Foundation Applicant Criteria:
• Applicant must be an active member of the U.S. or Canadian Fire Service (state, county, providential, municipal, community, industrial or federal fire department)
• Applicant’s Fire Chief should be a member of the International Association of Fire Chiefs
• Volunteers must have 3 years experience; Paid- 2 years; Combination- 3 years experience
• Applicant must demonstrate leadership and proficiency as a member of the fire service in a supervisory or middle management position or similar position of paid or volunteer work
• Applicant must use the scholarship funds in a recognized institution of higher education
• Scholarship may not be used to fund formal academic research projects
• Scholarship may not be sole source of academic funding
Named Scholarships Available:
The Arthur J. Glatfelter Scholarship Fund was established in 2014 through a generous endowment gift from the Glatfelter Insurance Group and VFIS. The scholarship recognizes Mr. Glatfelter’s steadfast support for the fire and emergency services, including his relentless advocacy for firefighters across the United States.
The Chief Charles “Chet” Henry Scholarship Award will be awarded to a qualified applicant annually. This fund was established with support from VFIS honoring the memory of Chief Henry.
The Garry L. Briese Scholarship Fund will provide one award annually. This fund was created with support from the Motorola Solutions Foundation. Preference will be given to Driver/Engineers and Lieutenants pursuing AA/AS or BA/BS degrees.
The Heather Westphal Memorial Scholarship will provide one award annually to a female first responder. This award was established in honor of the former IAFC membership marketing manager. This fund was established with support from IAFC (www.iafc.org) and the International Association of Women in Fire and Emergency Services (www.i-women.org)
The John M. Buckman, III Award will be given each year in his honor at the discretion of the selection committee.
Federal Military Section Scholarship will be awarded to a qualified applicant who is an IAFC Federal Military Section Member or is with a federal military fire department.
1) Fill in the on-line application and submit the following documents:
a) Provide two letters of endorsement acknowledging applicant’s demonstrated proficiency as a member of the fire service
b) Provide current curriculum vitae or resume
c) Provide official course description from institution catalog
d) Provide a 250-word statement outlining: 1) a brief description of the course work; 2) how the course work will benefit your fire service career and department and improve the fire service; 3) demonstrate significant, unmet financial need
2) Agree to provide a report at the completion of the program or course work that includes proof of course expense, proof of course completion, findings or outcomes from course work, and benefits of course work to your fire service career or to your fire department.
Scholarship Scoring Guidelines:
The IAFCF Scholarship Committee will judge each application in terms of: 1) benefits to be derived from the scholarship for the applicant, the applicant’s community and the fire service based on the applicant’s essay; 2) benefits to be derived from the applicant and the fire and emergency medical service that are outside normal fire department staff development training; 3) evidence that the applicant meets all the applicant criteria, has thoroughly completed the application form and submitted all of the necessary supporting documents. Preference will be given to those pursuing Bachelors and Associates degrees.
The IAFC Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs or activities, including educational policies, admissions policies, scholarships, and other programs.
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.