The Valerie Russell Scholarship Fund was established in 1997 in honor of Valerie Russell who served as the Executive Director of the Office for Church in Society in the national setting of the United Church of Christ. Valerie served in this role from January 15, 1992 until her death on February 23, 1997.
The scholarship will be awarded to an African American laywoman, who is NOT a Member in Discernment or a licensed, commissioned or ordained minister.
The scholarship will be awarded to a woman who has a deep love for the United Church of Christ.
The scholarship will be awarded to a woman whose commitment to justice is theologically grounded.
The scholarship will be awarded to a woman who affirms the values of the United Church of Christ and who embraces the justice commitments of the United Church of Christ through Justice and Witness Ministries.
The scholarship is for persons not organizations.
There are two categories of applications that will be considered:
1. An application from a woman who is already professionally engaged in justice work either in the church or in a secular organization that is consistent with the perspective and mandate of the United Church of Christ and Justice and Witness Ministries. The committee welcomes applications from African American laywomen that will use the dollars for an identified continuing education experience, (classes, workshops, training, etc.) that will assist in personal skill building to further the work currently engaged in or allow the beginning of work in new areas of challenge and interest.
2. An application from a woman pursuing formal higher education(undergraduate or graduate) who has the qualities, characteristics and commitment to justice consistent with the values outlined above.
• Awards will be made annually.
• Applicants may apply for renewal in subsequent years.
• Application deadline is March 1. In a Synod year the scholarship recipient may be invited to attend General Synod. Expenses will be covered.
• Recipients are required to submit a report 12 months after the award is granted.
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.
By choosing to submit your application, you are locking your application and will be unable to make any future changes.
Do you wish to proceed?