Jean M. Brown graduated from the St. Francis School of Nursing in 1938. During her nursing career, Ms. Brown was employed by Caterpillar as an Industrial Nurse and enjoyed the distinction of being the first individual to hold this position. Ms. Brown very much enjoyed her work experience and wanted to provide the same opportunities she had been provided to pursue a career in the field of nursing.
Ms. Brown made the provision in her will that allowed for the creation of an endowed nursing scholarship. Upon her death in October 2000, the Jean M. Brown Nursing Scholarship was established to award scholarships, based on need, to nursing students, with a special preference given to those students pursuing a career in Occupational Nursing.
The scholarship award of up to $2,500 is good for a period of one academic year. One half of the award will be applied to the fall semester and one half of the award will be applied to the spring semester. It is necessary to provide proof of good academic standing at the end of the fall semester prior to the spring scholarship payment being made.
The scholarship will be paid directly to the school of the recipient’s choice upon confirmation that the student has enrolled. The scholarship award may be used to cover the cost of tuition, books and required fees pertinent to the nursing program. Any unused portion of the scholarship must be returned to the Community Foundation of Central Illinois and will not become for the private use of the scholarship recipient.
1. Financial need.
3. Extracurricular activities.
4. Professional/ educational goals and achievements.
5. Letter(s) of reference/ recommendation.
1. Applicant must reside within a 50-mile radius of the City of Peoria (excluding Knox and McLean counties).
2. Applicant must be pursuing an education in the field of nursing: undergraduate, graduate, certifications in a specific nursing field are eligible.
3. Applicant may be enrolled as part-time or full-time.
4. Applicant must be in good academic standing at the institution in which he or she is enrolled.
1. High school / college transcript.
2. Acceptance letter / verification of enrollment form.
3. Financial aid report provided by your school.
4. If current RN, please include copy of license.
6. Two online letters of recommendation (obtain email addresses for each).