The Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship Program seeks to increase the number of Indiana residents who hold college degrees. Unity Foundation of La Porte County recommends applicants to Independent Colleges of Indiana, which is funded by Lilly Endowment Inc., to award full-tuition scholarships to outstanding La Porte County students. This year, we will recommend two recipients and four alternates.
These scholarships will provide full-tuition, required fees, and a special allocation of up to $900 per year for required books and equipment for four years of undergraduate study leading to a baccalaureate degree at any public or private college or university in Indiana accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Receiving the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship is a privilege and an honor for a student that far exceeds its monetary value. Therefore, the Scholarship Selection Committee, comprised of volunteers from throughout the county, will seek to select the two most outstanding La Porte County students among those who apply. Service to others, demonstrated leadership, and academic performance are key. Commitment, employment history, and financial need will also be considered in the selection process. Applications are reviewed in a blind process (names are removed beforehand). Finalists are then selected for a personal interview.
Committee members sign confidentiality agreements, and all information from the applications is kept in the strictest of confidence.
Award Notification Timeline
By Mid October: Finalists selected for interviews will be notified. Applicants not selected as finalists will also be notified
By End of October: Interviews will be conducted with finalists.
By December 9: Finalists will be notified of the selection results.
By March 1: Recipients must determine the Indiana college or university he/she will attend.
Eligible students must:
1. reside in La Porte County, Indiana; and
2. be a high school senior graduating by June 30, 2017, from an accredited Indiana high school that serves La Porte County (Including, but not limited to John Glenn, La Lumiere, La Porte, La Crosse, Marquette, Michigan City, New Prairie, South Central, Westville); and
3. intend to pursue a full-time baccalaureate course of study beginning in the fall of 2017 at any public or private college or university in Indiana that is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; and
4. submit a complete on-line application no later than Friday, August 26, 2016; and
5. maintain strong grades - preferred GPA of at least 3.75 and/or SAT/ACT of 1650/25.
The following people are not eligible for assistance from the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship programs: officers, directors, employees and members of a scholarship committee of Unity Foundation and their immediate families.
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.