The Thomas J. Epplin Health Profession Scholarship provides assistance to students seeking health profession careers. Students pursuing a minimum degree of Bachelor of Science in dentistry, medicine, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant, or nursing may apply.
Thomas J. Epplin “Tom” was born and raised in Pinckneyville, IL. He was a dentist in Vandalia, IL for 25 years where he was an active member of his parish, president of the Fayette County Health Department, and a member of various professional organizations. He was an avid supporter of St. Anthony High School in Effingham, IL during the years his daughter attended.
Tom was passionate about promoting educational opportunities for students of all walks of life. This scholarship has been made possible by the generous gifts of family and friends who wish to carry on his legacy.
Scholarships of up to $1,000 may be awarded.
1) Applicant must be a current high school senior or graduate from one of the following:
a. Pinckneyville High School, Pinckneyville, IL
b. St. Anthony High School, Effingham IL
c. Vandalia High School, Vandalia, IL
2) Applicant must be pursuing a Bachelor of Science or higher degree in a health profession. The Bachelor of Science degree can be in another field of study if the intent is to pursue a doctorate in any of the above careers once obtaining the Bachelor of Science degree. The health profession degree can be for dentistry, medicine, optometry, pharmacy, physician assistant, or nursing.
3) Applicant must have a 3.0 cumulative high school GPA or a current 3.0 equivalent college/university GPA.
4) Scholarship recipients, who maintain a “B” average, may reapply in subsequent years.
5) 35% of the scholarship is based on applicant’s essay, “Why I am pursuing a health profession career”.
6) 20% of scholarship is based on reference letter from teacher, school guidance counselor or health professional.
7) 20% of scholarship is based on financial need.
8) 15% of scholarship is based on academic information.
9) 10% of scholarship is based on applicant leadership and involvement in activities.
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.
By choosing to submit your application, you are locking your application and will be unable to make any future changes.
Do you wish to proceed?