Students Rising Above is looking for HIGH SCHOOL JUNIORS graduating in Spring 2018, who have demonstrated strength of character in the face of challenging odds, and dream of a college education. Selected students come from low-income households and are rising above tremendous difficulties and succeeding in school and in life despite their circumstances at home. These difficulties may include poverty, neglect, violence, addiction, and homelessness.
One hundred students will be selected to receive mentoring support, financial assistance, and career guidance from Students Rising Above. Our goal is to provide students with the individualized support they need to be successful in college and in life.
Students selected in our program are not obligated to tell their story publicly. It is voluntary and optional. The website stories are provided by students who are eager to tell their story. They are motivated that others may see their story and be inspired and hopeful. But it's not mandatory.
Students Rising Above Scholarship Program Requirements:
- MUST CURRENTLY BE A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL
- Overcome obstacles that are not of their own making
- Low-income or living on government assistance
- High school senior in 2017-2018 school year
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident, DACA status or Dream Act eligible
- Committed to earning a college degree from a four year institution
- Highly recommended by a teacher, counselor or mentor
- G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher
- Must live within the nine-county Bay Area
- Comply with Students Rising Above program requirements
Number of Awards110