This scholarship is made possible by a bequest from Mr. and Mrs. Michael and Judith Burgstein, in memory of their devoted son and AFA Lifetime Member, Colonel Aaron Burgstein. The scholarship was established for minor dependents of (officer or enlisted) active duty, retired, or prior service members of all branches, reservists or National Guard members who are/will be pursuing a two-year or four-year degree at an accredited college/university. Priority will be given to those dependents whose parent/guardian served for eight or more years; or has either had a parent die while serving on or in an active duty status; or has a parent that has been classified as a wounded warrior through the Air Force Wounded Warrior program. Additional funds supporting this program have been contributed by family, friends and colleagues.
The award is non-renewable. A recipient will be selected by a non-AFA committee based upon academic achievement, strong character, commitment to others, and future goals.
Once the recipient is selected, the Air Force Association will notify the student with a congratulatory email. The check will be distributed directly to the recipient’s college or university, which can be used for any education related expense.
1. All applications are to be filled out using AFA’s online application service, SmarterSelect. A link will be made available on AFA’s website at the beginning of February.
2. A completed application (including all supporting materials).
3. A 600 word essay (approximately two pages typed and double spaced) describing your academic and personal achievements, and goals. Additionally, please describe how this scholarship will help you accomplish your goals.
4. One letter of recommendation. This letter may be written by a teacher, a supervisor, a counselor, or the director of an organization in which you participate. It may not be written by a family member or friend.
5. The most up-to-date copy of an official transcript. Your cumulative GPA must fall between 2.5 and 4.0 (do not round up).
6. Proof of acceptance or enrollment into an accredited, 2-year or 4-year college/university indicating your intended major. The letter must be on college/university stationery from the admissions office, registrar or financial aid office.
7. A copy of your parent’s/guardian’s DD214 or proof of military service such as a front and back copy of your military ID card (please black out social security number).
8. Optional (needed to support application priority status): If your parent/guardian is deceased, please upload a copy of the Casualty Report (DD1300); If your parent/guardian is classified as AFW2, please upload a letter from the assigned RCC or NMCC confirming status of parent/guardian. Evaluators will not be sent this information.
Number of Awards1
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.