The Fire Chief of the Year is presented annually by the IAFC and Pierce Manufacturing at the general session of Fire-Rescue International. The award honors one career and one volunteer fire chief for their leadership, innovation, professional development, integrity, service to the public and contributions as a whole to the fire service.
A nomination in one or both categories will be accepted from:
* All sections and divisions of the IAFC
* International Association of Women in Fire & Emergency Services
* Institution of Fire Engineers
* Any state association of career and/or volunteer chiefs
* International Association of Fire Fighters
* International Association of Black Professional Fire Fighters
* National Association of Hispanic Fire Fighters
* Congressional Fire Services Institute
* Center for Public Safety Excellence
* International Association of Arson Investigators
* Native American Fire Chiefs Association
* National Volunteer Fire Council
*Previous winners may nominate one chief and are not limited to their own winning category
* Any IAFC member
* Women Fire Chiefs Council
Four steps to prepare the official entry:
1. Complete the official nomination form. Remember, this is a lifetime achievement award, not one specific incident.
2. Statement describing in less than 1,000 words the nominee's major accomplishments and why the candidate is being nominated.
3. Current resume or CV detailing the candidate's involvement in the fire service. This is optional, however it is also highly recommended.
4. Limit of three other documents supporting the candidate's nomination, such as copies of awards, newspaper articles, or letters of recommendation from appropriate elected or appointed officials. These documents are optional, however more information makes it easier to determine worthy recipients.
No politicking is permitted. The nomination form and supporting documents comprise the entire documentation for a candidate's nomination. Neither the nominee nor anyone representing him or her is to contact the IAFC staff or any member(s) of the nomination/selection committee after the nomination has been made and before the final selection has been made. Any violations of this will subject the nominee to disqualification.
The IAFC is not responsible for submissions received past the deadline due to electronic errors.
Each nomination package will be reviewed by a selection committee to choose the winners. The IAFC reserves the right to omit an award. The winners will be announced on Tuesday, August 7 and honored on Thursday, August 9 at Fire-Rescue International (FRI) in Dallax, Texas. Also, the winners will be featured in IAFC On Scene and on FireChief.com.
Two awards will be presented in 2018; one for a career fire chief and one for a volunteer fire chief.
*A volunteer fire chief is defined as one who earns his or her principal livelihood by some means other than serving as a fire chief, even if the position of chief carries some compensation.
*A career fire chief is defined as one who earns his or her principal livelihood as a fire chief.
*In each category, the status of the fire department as a whole — paid, volunteer or combination — is not considered.
*Individuals who are eligible for nomination and selection as Fire Chief of the Year are limited to active chiefs of departments. Previous Fire Chief of the Year winners are not eligible.
*Selection criteria will emphasize leadership, innovation, professional development, integrity, service to the public and contributions to the fire service as a whole.
*All of a nominee's fire service activities and accomplishments will be considered. Special emphasis will be placed on the period from 2015 through 2017. A nominee's command role at a major emergency incident, while relevant, will not be enough to place that individual into contention for the award.
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.
By choosing to submit your application, you are locking your application and will be unable to make any future changes.
Do you wish to proceed?