The Richard and Doris Sayles Family Scholarship Fund at Placer Community Foundation has been established to provide financial assistance to former Newcastle Elementary School students who are pursuing further education in a vocational, college, or university setting.
Richard Sayles and Doris McCann Sayles worked in public education and strongly believed access to higher education in all settings and levels provided a path to achieve any student’s goals. With teaching in their genes, Richard and Doris moved to the Newcastle area in 1958 to raise their family and to help students prepare for life. Doris taught Parent Participation Preschool in Auburn, and later worked as a substitute teaching at Newcastle Elementary School. Richard began working at Newcastle Elementary School in 1958 as the Superintendent and Principal. He held that position until 1978, when he switched to teaching. He enjoyed teaching fifth grade and was well known for his class presenting the history of the USA using “dancing marionettes.”
-Must have attended Newcastle Elementary School (Newcastle, CA 95678) for at least 5 years and have not been a past recipient of the Richard and Doris Sayles Family Scholarship.
-High school graduate, enrollment in the equivalent of 12 semester units of college credit, or full-time in one semester of vocational education program.
-Minimum grade point average “C” (2.0) verified by a certified copy of applicant’s transcripts (high school, college, or vocational education, whichever is applicable).
-A signed copy of the applicant’s transcript.
-A letter documenting attendance years at Newcastle Elementary School in Newcastle, CA, signed by the Superintendent/Principal.
Selection and Award Process:
1. Each year a selection panel will award one student a scholarship of $1,000 (minimum) to a high school graduate seeking to attend a vocational school, community college, or a four-year college or university.
2. The selection panel will choose a scholarship recipient based upon information provided in the application form, personal statements/letters and transcripts.
3. If awarded, a certificate may be presented to the recipient by a member of the Sayles family during the student’s school scholarship awards ceremony.
4. Recipient is eligible to receive the scholarship funds after full-time enrollment is certified by admissions office of vocational, college or university facility.
5. Scholarship funds will be released in one payment by check which will be mailed directly to the recipients’ educational facility. Check will be made payable in both the school and the student’s name.
Number of Awards1
Total Amount Awarded$1,000
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.