East Bay College Fund helps resilient public and charter high school students, under-represented in higher education, access and succeed in college, thus expanding their life opportunities.
East Bay College Fund grants scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $16,000, mentoring, college advising, help with financial aid, career networking, and life skills training. In turn, program participants are expected to be academically and emotionally “ready” to attend college, to participate in East Bay College Fund events, and to communicate regularly with their CREWS (peer-mentoring), mentor and/or East Bay College Fund staff.
PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS NOT SIMPLY A SCHOLARSHIP AWARD. You will be joining a support program for the complete tenure of your college career.
• Must be a senior attending an Oakland public high school during the 2016-17 academic year
• Earn a cumulative unweighted GPA of 2.0 or higher (Note: Some scholarships will be awarded to students with GPA's above 2.7)
• Documented financial need
* Academic preparation to succeed in college
* Resiliency: ability to overcome obstacles to achieve academic and personal goals
* Life skills: responsible, resourceful and involved with others (work, school, family, community)
• Must have applied to at least four 4-year colleges (we encourage applicants to apply to a range of 4-year colleges including private schools, UC’s and CSU’s) OR 1 community college
• Will be attending full-time at a four-year or two-year (not-for-profit) accredited college or university in the U.S. in Fall 2017
If awarded the scholarship, the following dates are also mandatory events:
- Scholar and Parent Orientations, Thur, May 11, 2017 (2-yr Bound Scholars) and Thur, May 18, 2017 (4-yr Bound Scholars)
- Awards Ceremony on Wed, May 31, 2017 (Evening)
- Kick-Off on Saturday, June 17, 2017 (9am-4pm)
- Summer persistence events and participate in freshman persistence programming through peer support group on campus
- Summer Retreat on Saturday, August 5, 2017 (All Day)
- Winter Retreat (Dec 2017)
Dreamers are encouraged to apply!
Note: For 4-year college bound scholars, to be awarded our scholarship you must be accepted to a 4-year college by the date that we request. You must be able to provide all financial aid documentation by the date we request.
Also, if you receive any of the following awards, you may be ineligible to participate in the East Bay College Fund Program. Please call East Bay College Fund at (510) 836-8900 to discuss your individual situation.
- Berkeley Incentive Award
- Students Rising Above
- UC Berkeley Cal Opportunities Scholarship
- Gates Millennium
- CAP Scholarship
- Any other scholarship in excess of $3,500