This scholarship was established by Dr. Valentine Jobst III whose family arrived in Peoria, Illinois in 1859. His grandfather and father founded the V. Jobst and Sons Construction Company which constructed many familiar buildings around the city. This includes two schools from which Dr. Jobst graduated: Washington and Peoria High Schools.
Jobst graduated with honors from the University of Illinois in 1926. With the exception of 1942 through 1946, when he served as a Major in the Army, his professional career was spent as an instructor at the University of Illinois. He retired as a full Professor associated with the Political Science department in 1964. Dr. Jobst died in Champaign, Illinois in 1993.
A scholarship award of up to $2,500 will be awarded. The scholarship award is good for a period of one academic year and is not considered a renewable scholarship; however, recipients are eligible to re-apply each year. Prior recipients are not given preferential consideration.
1. Motivation to accomplish education/career goals.
2. Potential for scholarship, citizenship and leadership are taken into consideration.
3. Financial need is only a consideration when other factors weigh equally among applicants.
1. Applicant must reside and be a current senior or a graduate of a City of Peoria, IL high school.
2. Applicant must be pursuing an education at a technical or vocational school. Students pursuing educational or technical educations through a community or junior college are eligible for consideration.
1. Completed application.
2. High School or College/University Transcripts.
4. 2 Online Letters of Recommendation - teacher and non-relative adult (obtain email addresses for each).