Following domestic and international disasters the need to distribute specific material aid is often crucial to the recovery process. UCC Disaster Ministries, UCC Conferences and congregations support these efforts by assembling various types of Church World Service Kits that are stored and can be shipped at a moment’s notice. In an effort to support Church World Service in restocking these essential Kits, UCC Disaster Ministries is offering matching grants of up to $250 per congregation on a first-come, first-served basis to the first 200 qualifying applicants now through Dec. 31, 2017. Right now, CWS Emergency Cleanup Buckets are in especially short supply. Grants for CWS School and Hygiene Kits also will be accepted.
Members of the denomination can assist disaster relief efforts by assembling various kits that are warehoused by CWS, ready to be shipped at a moment's notice when the need arises. The Disaster Ministries team is hoping the financial aid offered to congregations will kick start a church-wide effort to restock these much-needed supplies.
Below is a list of items needed for the various CWS kits:
•One five-gallon bucket with resealable lid (If bucket has been used, clean well but do not use if it has held chemicals of any kind.)
•Four scouring pads
•Seven sponges, including one large
•One scrub brush
•Eighteen reusable cleaning towels (e.g. Easy Wipes)
•One 50 oz. or two 25 oz. bottle(s) of liquid laundry detergent
•One 16-28 oz. bottle of liquid disinfectant dish soap
•One 12-16 oz. bottle of household cleaner that can be mixed with water (no spray bottles)
•One package of 48-50 clothespins
•Clothesline, two 50 ft. or one 100 ft.
•Five dust masks
•Two pairs non surgical latex gloves
•One pair work gloves, cotton with leather palm or all leather
•24-28 heavy duty or contractor type 30-45 gallon trash bags on a roll and removed from carton
•One 6-9 oz. bottle of non-aerosol insect repellent
•One pair of blunt scissors removed from the package (rounded tip, only)
•Three 70-count bound notebooks or notebooks totaling 200-210 pages (no loose-leaf or filler paper)
•One 30-centimeter / 12” ruler
•One hand-held pencil sharpener removed from the package
•One large eraser (no pencil cap erasers)
•Six new, unsharpened pencils with erasers removed from the package
•One box of 24 crayons (only 24)
•One 12”x14” to 14”x17” finished size cotton or lightweight canvas bag (solid color or kid-friendly fabric) with cloth handles (no reusable shopping bags, backpacks, or bags with logos)
•One hand towel measuring approximately 15" x 28" to 16" x 32" (no fingertip, bath, dish towel or micro-fiber)
•One wide-tooth comb removed from the package
•One fingernail or toenail clipper removed from the package
•One bath-size bar of soap in the wrapper
•One toothbrush in the package
•Ten standard size Band-Aids
Visit Church World Service at: http://cwskits.org for more details.
- Grant Applications will be received through December 31, 2017.
- Congregations that raise $250 or more (monetary or in-kind supplies) for Church World Service Kits are eligible to apply for a $250 matching grant from UCC Disaster Ministries.
- Grant Applications must be accompanied by a completed W-9 form at http://uccfiles.com/pdf/W-9-Form.pdf
- Grants will be awarded on a first come first serve basis. Up to $50,000 will be awarded in 2017.
- 100% of Matching Grant funds must be used for purchasing supplies for the assembly of the CWS Kits or for processing costs ($3/Clean Up Bucket, $2/School or Hygiene Kit).
- KIts must be shipped or delivered to a Church World Service depot (http://cwskits.org/depots) or its warehouse.
Church World Service
Brethren Service Center
601 Main St
PO Box 188
New Windsor, MD 21776-0188
- All Kits must be assembled and processed according to Church World Service instructions found at: http://cwskits.org.
- Grant recipients are required to complete a UCC Disaster Ministries Kit Matching Grant Report Form by April 30, 2018.
Total Amount Awarded$50,000
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.