The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is excited to announce the first ever challenge designed to recognize outstanding creativity and teamwork within SWENext Clubs.
Challenge: Many people use video chat to connect when face to face interaction isn’t an option Design a physical product, app, or bot that enhances individual conversations or group meetings when used with systems like Skype, Snapchat and/or FaceTime. Video chats can be executed via tablet, computer or any other capable technology.
Upload a 3-minute video to YouTube that introduces your Club and explains the development and functions of your product design. Describe how your product will help Club members, educators, and SWE members connect with each other. Include a link to your video in your application. Submit your video by Friday, September 15th to be considered. Challenge winning Club will be announced in early October.
SWENext Clubs are strongly encouraged to work on their challenge submission with a SWE collegiate or professional section. Find and connect with local SWE sections (societyofwomenengineers.swe.org/membership/swe-sections) and start inventing!
The SWENext Club with the winning design will be given a month to build a prototype of their product design. Four Club members and one SWE advisor/chaperone will be flown to WE17, SWE’s annual conference (we17.swe.org/), where they’ll present their prototype and use it to connect with club members back home!
The winning SWENext Club will be awarded the following:
• All-expenses paid trip to WE17 in Austin, Texas for four Club members and one SWE advisor/chaperone.
• World-wide recognition for the team’s accomplishments on the SWENext Website
• Booth space to showcase their winning prototype at the Invent it. Build it. EXPO (societyofwomenengineers.swe.org/invent-it-build-it)
• A $500 stipend for future Club projects
• SWE Commemorative Shirts: “This is what a future engineer looks like” and other goodies for the whole team
SWE is also excited to announce that all SWENext Clubs – regardless of participation in this challenge - have the opportunity to reserve WE17’s Invent It. Build It. EXPO booth space FOR FREE! Please contact Darcy Andersen at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
1. Applying Club must be a registered SWENext Club. To register your club, go to http://societyofwomenengineers.swe.org/page/4722-swenext-club
2. Applying Club members must be in K-12th grade.
3. Video submissions must include:
• A fact about virtual communications your Club learned while researching your design
• You Club’s product design and design process
• How your Club will prototype your product
• How your product will help Club members, educators, and SWE members connect with each other
Helpful video resources:
(Create animated videos and presentations)
(Design and video production app for tablets)
(Create videos on your computer screen and with your webcam)
4. Any other software you like to use!
Many public libraries have computer access and rentable filming equipment. Check your local public library for details.
Number of Awards1
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.