The Diablo Black Men’s Group (DBMG) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization which provides scholarships to college-bound African-American males students graduating from high schools in Alameda and Contra Costa counties. These one-time scholarships range from $1,000 to $5,000.
1. All Applicants must be high school seniors who will graduate at the end of the academic calendar year (May/June time frame). Individuals who have already graduated from high school or received a GED, but have never attended a college or university as a full-time student are also eligible to apply.
2. Must reside in Alameda or Contra Costa Counties.
3. Involvement as a volunteer in activities within your school or community.
4. Have a 2.5 Grade Point Average - Overall.
5. All winners must attend a four hour orientation meeting where they will:
- Be briefed on how to prepare for their college experience, including finance management. Event date will be included in the scholarship award letter.
6. All winners and their parents or guardian(s) are required to attend an evening DBMG Scholars Award Celebration event. Event date will be included in the scholarship award letter.
7. Record a Video with DBMG of award winner and sign release for use of video and photo to DBMG.
Applicants must submit the following:
1. A completed DBMG Scholarship Application must be submitted and have an online stamp of April 15, 2018. All fields must be completed. Enter ’N/A’ in those fields that don’t apply to you. Application should include a photo and short video.
2. Three (3) personal letters of recommendation:
a) Current High School Seniors: Letters from a school counselor, teacher or community representative.
b) High School Graduates: Letters from community representative, employer, other business professionals as approved by the DBMG.
3. List of colleges and/or universities where you have applied.
4. Copy of an official academic transcript from your school. Applicants should request that their transcript be sent directly to DBMG at the address listed below:
DBMG Scholarship 2018
P.O. Box 2898
San Ramon, CA 94583
Most schools typically charge a nominal service charge fee to send official transcript. The DBMG will not accept student copies or other unofficial transcripts.
5. A written essay on the "Principle goals of education. The essay question is listed below:
One of the principal goals of education is fostering ways for people to respect and get along with individuals who think, dress, look and act differently. How might you make this goal a reality?
Your essay should be 400 - 500 words (typed and DOUBLE SPACED) and submit with application.
6. A personal biographical essay of 200 - 250 words (typed and DOUBLE SPACED). The biography should include college and/or career objectives, leadership abilities and your involvement in the black community. A copy to be submitted with the application.
NOTES OF INTEREST
# A copy of college or university acceptance letter is required to disburse scholarship grant.
# Scholarship disbursement will be made directly to the college or university that you will be attending. Once we receive your acceptance letter, the following items will be required to disburse scholarship grant.
a) Student ID Number
b) Official name, address where to send the grant check and a contact phone number.
# All scholarship grants must be paid out within one (1) year from the date of the award letter.
# This is a one-time non renewable scholarship.
# Midnight of April 15, 2018; Scholarship application, including all required materials, must be received.
# May 7, 2018; Scholarship winners will be notified.
Questions? Please contact our DBMG Scholarship Chair at: email@example.com
Total Amount Awarded$142,000
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.
By choosing to submit your application, you are locking your application and will be unable to make any future changes.
Do you wish to proceed?