UNICO Foundation, Inc. will grant a $5,000.00 scholarship to a student pursuing a medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy degree.
1. Italian Origin—The candidate must be a United States citizen of Italian descent, i.e., must have at least one parent of Italian heritage. Documented and notarized proof may be requested by the selection committee if necessary.
2. Sponsorship—An applicant must reside in the home state of an active UNICO Chapter. Every UNICO Chapter or District, in good standing, may sponsor candidates for each of the UNICO Foundation scholarships.
3. Educational Requirements—A candidate must be a senior at a campus based public or private college/university or hold a degree thereof who will be pursuing a medical doctor or doctor of osteopathy degree, or is currently enrolled in an accredited medical school within the United States. Proof of enrollment must be provided prior to the issuing of scholarship money.
4. Financial Need—Financial need will be a consideration.
5. Extra-Curricular and Community Participation—The extent to which a candidate has contributed to the life and welfare of college and/or community will be taken into account in the assessment of merit.
6. Family Members—UNICANS and their family members are eligible and may apply through their respective chapters.
7. Timeframe—The candidate must pursue their study within the academic year of the scholarship grant; any deviation will result in the forfeiture.
STANDARDS FOR CONSIDERATION
In addition to the criteria previously listed, applications will be judged on citizenship, leadership, character, community service and commitment.
The UNICO Foundation, through this program, seeks students of outstanding merit who show appreciation for the value of an education and are willing to achieve success. It is to be noted further that along with the maintenance of the required college scholastic standards as a condition precedent in awarding the scholarship, the National Director of Scholarships and UNICO Foundation, Inc. Trustees reserve unto themselves the right to cancel or otherwise terminate a grant at any time an awardee, in their opinion, directly or indirectly engages in undesirable activities. The National Director of Scholarships and UNICO Foundation Trustees need not assign any reason for their action and the awardee shall have no recourse.
Applications that do not conform to the foregoing requirements will not be considered. Experience indicates that a scholarship rating of 90% or better is usually necessary to qualify for serious consideration for an award; in the event a candidate’s academic achievements are not reflected by grades and tests, other attributes must be provided.
Online degree programs are not eligible for UNICO scholarships.
The scholarship must be applied to the 2018-2019 academic year.
A recipient must submit the scholarship agreement, and a bursar’s receipt confirming enrollment, prior to payment of award.
Only the winners will be notified. Results will be posted on the
UNICO National Website: www.unico.org
Recipients are required to submit a photo upon notification.
For security purposes, do not include a Social Security Number.
Number of Awards1
Total Amount Awarded$5,000
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.
By choosing to submit your application, you are locking your application and will be unable to make any future changes.
Do you wish to proceed?