UNICO Foundation, Inc. will grant two scholarships valued at $1,000 each, to students attending an accredited campus based college or university in the United States.
The purpose of the Ella T. Grasso Literary Scholarship is to acknowledge the author of an exceptional essay or short story about a positive Italian American experience.
1. Citizenship—The candidate must be a United States citizen of Italian descent, having at least one parent of Italian ancestry.
2. Sponsorship—An applicant must reside in the home state of an active UNICO Chapter. Every UNICO Chapter or District, in good standing, may sponsor candidates for each of the UNICO Foundation scholarships.
3. Educational Requirements—A candidate must be currently attending, full time, an accredited campus based college or university in the United States. The candidate must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0. Proof of enrollment must be provided prior to issuing the scholarship award check.
4. Family Members—UNICANS and their family members may be sponsored by their respective Chapters.
5. Timeframe—The candidate must continue study within the academic year of the scholarship grant; any deviation will result in forfeiture.
RULES OF APPLICATION
1. The candidate must submit an original, titled, unpublished essay or short story of not less than 1,500 nor more than 2,000 words.
2. Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, originality, literary merit and suitability for publication. The topic must relate to a positive Italian American experience.
3. Entries become the property of UNICO National for purposes of publication in ComUNICO or any supplement. Authors retain the right for publication elsewhere.
The UNICO Foundation, through this program, seeks students of outstanding literary talent who show appreciation for the value of an education and are willing to achieve success. It is to be noted further, that along with the maintenance of the required scholastic standards as a condition precedent in awarding the scholarship, the National Director of Scholarships and UNICO Foundation, Inc. Trustees reserve unto themselves the right to cancel or otherwise terminate a grant at any time an awardee, in their opinion, directly or indirectly engages in undesirable activities. The National Director of Scholarships and UNICO Foundation Trustees need not assign any reason for their action and the awardee shall have no recourse.
Online degree programs are not eligible for UNICO scholarships.
The scholarship must be applied to the 2018-2019 academic year.
A recipient must submit the scholarship agreement, and a bursar’s receipt confirming enrollment, prior to payment of award.
Only the winners will be notified. Results will be posted on the
UNICO National Website: www.unico.org
Recipients are required to submit a photo upon notification.
Number of Awards2
Total Amount Awarded$2,000
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.
By choosing to submit your application, you are locking your application and will be unable to make any future changes.
Do you wish to proceed?