The Butch Gudat Fund is a charitable foundation for assisting Tri-County firefighters, their families and their communities. The fund provides at least one $1500 academic scholarship to qualifying children and grandchildren of career and volunteer firefighters in Peoria, Tazewell and Woodford counties. The fund commemorates the dedication and bravery of Peoria Fire Captain Butch Gudat who died fighting an apartment complex fire on Main Street on January 23, 1983.
Recipients will be notified in early January. An awards ceremony will take place each year on or around January 23rd. Recipients will be asked to attend the ceremony.
2. Potential for scholarship, citizenship and leadership.
1. Applicant must be a child or grandchild of a central Illinois firefighter. Relatives of both career and volunteer firefighters in Peoria, Tazewell and Woodford counties are eligible. Relatives of both current and retired firefighters are eligible.
2. Applicant must plan to attend an accredited two- or four-year college or university in the United States in the coming academic year.
3. Applicant must plan to enroll as a full-time student (as defined by the college or university) in the coming academic year.
4. Applicants can apply for a scholarship a maximum of four times.
1. Completed application.
2. Essay providing your thoughts on the following topics:
- The Butch Gudat Fund was established to honor the courage of a Peoria firefighter who gave his life in the line of duty. Please share an example of courage that inspires you.
- The Butch Gudat Fund is intended as a living legacy to honor a man who would rather be remembered as a father and a friend than a hero. Explain the importance of family and friends in your life.
- Butch Gudat and all the other Central Illinois firefighters demonstrate their dedication to community safety and security every day. Explain a way you demonstrate your dedication to the community.
Number of Awards2
Total Amount Awarded$3,000
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.
By choosing to submit your application, you are locking your application and will be unable to make any future changes.
Do you wish to proceed?