The Mosaic Scholarship provides financial and mentoring support to minority students pursuing graduate education in archival science, encourages students to pursue a career as an archivist, and promotes the diversification of the American archives profession. The award is given to applicants who demonstrate excellent potential for scholastic and personal achievement and who manifest a commitment both to the archives profession and to advancing diversity concerns within it.
The Mosaic Scholarship was established in 2008. Recipients receive a $5,000 scholarship, a one-year complimentary membership in SAA, and complimentary registration to SAA's Annual Meeting for the year in which the scholarship is received.
Applications must include the following documents:
• A cover letter stating interest in the scholarship and how the applicant meets eligibility requirements
• An essay of not more than 500 words outlining the applicant’s interests and future goals in the archives profession.
• Official transcripts from the applicant’s most recent academic program. NOTE: Allow enough time to get transcripts by application deadline.
• Two letters of recommendation from teachers/professors and/or professional archivists. NOTE: Please notify your references ahead of time. Your references will need to upload their letters of recommendation to your online form by the application deadline.
• The applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
• The applicant must be of American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander descent.
• The applicant must be currently enrolled in a graduate program or a multi-course program in archival administration, or have applied to such a program for the next academic year. (The graduate program must offer at least three courses in archival science or be listed in the current SAA Directory of Archival Education (https://www2.archivists.org/dae). If the program is not listed in the SAA Directory of Archival Education, the applicant must provide proof of the three-course standard by submitting copies of course descriptions from the institution’s current course catalog.)
• The applicant shall have completed no more than half of the credit requirements toward her/his graduate degree at the time of the award (i.e., June 1).
• The applicant must be enrolled in a graduate program and begin school no later than September 1 or the fall semester/quarter immediately following the award. Otherwise the award will be rescinded.
• Applicants may have full-time or part-time status.
[In the event that certain conditions arise, the following shall apply: 1) if the award exceeds tuition fees for one semester, the balance may be carried over to the next semester; 2) if the recipient drops out of the archival administration program, all unused fees shall be returned to SAA; and 3) if the recipient’s tuition is paid in full by another scholarship or award, the recipient shall decline the Mosaic Scholarship.]
[Click "Preview" to view the application. Click "Apply" to begin your application. Note: When creating your password, special characters not allowed.]
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.
By choosing to submit your application, you are locking your application and will be unable to make any future changes.
Do you wish to proceed?