The Mervin Sluizer, Jr. Scholarship Fund was created in 1992 by alumni of Philadelphia Troop 185, Boy Scouts of America, for the purpose of helping worthy scouts pursue higher education. Mervyn Sluizer retired in 1998 after serving 51 years as the Scoutmaster of Boy Scout Troop 185 in Elkins Park, culminating more than 68 years of involvement with Scouting. "He's made many a boy into a successful individual," said Brad Robbins, who with other former members of Troop 185 honored their revered Scoutmaster with a fund at The Philadelphia Foundation. A lifelong Philadelphian, Mervyn Sluizer was born in 1920 and graduated from Germantown High School. He attended the University of Pennsylvania on a Mayor's scholarship, graduating in 1941 with a B.S. in chemical engineering. He became national president and board chair of his fraternity and served on the Greek Alumni Council and Penn's Fraternity-Sorority Advisory Board. He served as editor of The Triangle, the university's engineering magazine. An active synagogue member and Jewish community fundraiser, Mervyn Sluizer chaired the local Jewish Advisory Council on Scouting, and often organized American-Israeli Scouting exchanges. His many honors included Scouting's Silver Beaver and Silver Antelope. He worked for the Institute of Industrial Launderers for about 30 years, retiring in 1990. He passed away in October, 2000 at the age of 80.
To apply for a scholarship from the Mervin Sluizer, Jr. Scholarship Fund you must be a high school senior who is a current member of the Boy Scouts of America and is active in the Greater Philadelphia area. This area includes, Bucks, Chester Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania as well as Burlington, Camden and Gloucester in New Jersey
• Must have been active in the Boy Scouts of America for at least 5 years, and must be currently active at the time of application
• Must have attained the rank of Eagle
• Must have demonstrated responsible leadership as a Scout for a period of at least one year
• Must exemplify the ideals of Scouting in his life and by his activities. (Please have this point elaborated on in your letters of recommendation.)
• Must reside in the 8 county Philadelphia metropolitan area which includes: Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey
Two (2) $1,000 one-time scholarships will be awarded
A COMPLETED APPLICATION INCLUDES:
• Copy of your high school transcript
• Letter of recommendation from your current Unit Leader
• Letter recommendation from a non-relative adult
Number of Awards2
Total Amount Awarded$2,000
The item(s) you are requesting to delete has data. If you do not want to permanently lose the data, we suggest you export all application/evaluation data before deleting. If you understand that deleting this portion of your form will result in the permanent loss of the associated data, please type "DELETE" in all capital letters in the space below.
By choosing to submit your application, you are locking your application and will be unable to make any future changes.
Do you wish to proceed?